While watching the news tonight, I decided to follow-up on just SOME of the warnings announcers try to squeeze into 15 seconds at the end of an ad.
To begin with – isn’t it interesting that drug ads form the majority of advertising during the news!
Anyway, I tracked down just FOUR ads “Important safety Warnings”
I’ll give you a partial warning, then tell you what the drug is they want you to swallow.
1. XXXXXX cause serious, even life threatening, allergic reactions. Stop taking XXXXXX and call your doctor right away if you have any signs of a serious allergic reaction. Some signs are swelling of your face, mouth, lips, gums, tongue, throat or neck, or if you have any trouble breathing, or have a rash, hives or blisters. Drugs used to treat seizures increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. XXXXXX may cause swelling of your hands, legs and feet, which can be serious for people with heart problems. XXXXXX may cause dizziness and sleepiness. You should not drive or work with machines until you know how XXXXXX affects you. Also, tell your doctor right away about muscle pain or problems along with feeling sick and feverish, or any changes in your eyesight including blurry vision, or if you have any kidney problems or get dialysis. Some of the most common side effects of XXXXXX are dizziness, blurry vision, weight gain, sleepiness, trouble concentrating, swelling of your hands and feet, dry mouth, and feeling “high.” If you have diabetes, tell your doctor about any skin sores. Before you start XXXXXX, tell your doctor if you are planning to father a child, or if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you have had a drug or alcohol problem, you may be more likely to misuse XXXXXX.
2. XXXXXXXXXX can cause serious side effects such as lowering your ability to fight infections.
Some patients, especially those 65 years and older, have had serious infections caused by viruses, fungi or bacteria that have spread throughout the body, including tuberculosis (TB) and histoplasmosis.
Some of these infections have been fatal. Unusual cancers have been reported in children
and teenage patients taking TNF-blocker medicines. Hepatosplenic T-cell
lymphoma, a rare form of fatal lymphoma, has occurred mostly in teenage or young
adult males with Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis. . . the chances of getting lymphoma or other cancers may increase
3. Before you use XXXXXX, tell your healthcare provider if you have: breast cancer, or might have prostate Cancer, urinary problems due to an enlarged prostate, heart problems, kidney or liver problems,
problems breathing while you sleep (sleep apnea), any other medical conditions. Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Using XXXXXX with other medicines can affect each other. Especially, tell your healthcare provider if you take: insulin, medicines that decrease blood clotting, corticosteroids.”
4. Do not use XXXXXX if you are allergic to tiotropium or ipratropium (e.g., Atrovent®) or any of the ingredients in XXXXXX. If your breathing suddenly worsens, your face, throat, lips, or tongue swells, you get hives, itching or rash, stop taking XXXXXX and seek immediate medical help. XXXXXX is not a rescue medicine and should not be used for treating sudden breathing problems. Do not swallow XXXXXX capsules. The contents of the capsule should only be inhaled through your mouth using the HandiHaler device. If you have vision changes or eye pain or if you have difficulty passing urine or painful urination, stop taking XXXXXX and call your doctor right away. Tell your doctor if you have glaucoma, problems passing urine or an enlarged prostate, as these may worsen with XXXXXX. Tell your doctor if you have kidney problems or are allergic to milk proteins. Ask your doctor if you are not sure. Also discuss with your doctor all the medicines you take, including eye drops.”
NOTE: These are only PARTIAL warnings!!!! I have not intended to make any judgments or pass along any suggestions whatsoever. These are just personal observations. You can add dozens more if you notice them.
1. LYRICA pain relief
2. REMICADE for Crohn’s Disease
3. AXIRON testosterone treatment
4. SPIRIVA inhaler